Friday, January 22, 2010

Straight from Mod Coffee House

from kat, participant in the Galveston Reads program held 1/21/2010 facilitated by Dr. Pat Jakobi….. if you haven’t been to one of the discussion groups about the book Rocket Boys (October Sky) don’t miss your opportunity to do so. I attended the discussion last night at MOD Coffee House, and I am in awe at the facilitator’s ability to focus and bring up some interesting theories of every reader of the book. Is there really such a thing as a “man’s book?” When I read the book, I did think to myself there’s little emotion emoting from the story teller – well – why did I think that? It’s a man’s book. We talked about the mother, the era she lived, detached, strong, a survivor… all these things coming to the forefront in our discussion. We talked about the connection of the town to the boys, how the town needed them, and how they needed the town – it was a true match. I also met some fabulous people, some new to Galveston – yeah! New Blood! In essence, I don’t portray myself as an intelligent human being, I see myself as a pseudo artist and a child seeking knowledge, and to be surrounded by such thought provoking individuals discussing the Galveston Reads book of the year was exciting to me. Don’t miss the next book discussion! You’ll be thankful you went.

and this discussion was so absorbing that all participates cried and hugged at the end and bonded as all good women's circles do! (i heard this through the grapevine...poom)

No comments: